This seems like a bit of a silly little project, and some might even say it's a shame to use such pretty scrappy hexagons for a bathmat that you're going to stand and drip on, but I'm just happy to finally use my hexagons for something useful. They'd been assembled into an approximate 27" square since the summer and it was folded and tucked away. I knew I'd never persevere and make a whole quilt this way so might as well make something useful of it.
I put the hexagon panel and an old bath towel (not worn out, just not being used) right sides together then sewed around, leaving a 6" opening on one edge for turning. I then pressed around the edges and did a 1/4" top stitch around the perimeter. I could have left it like that, but decided to add some diagonal quilting lines to secure the whole thing. Not just to secure the back to the front, but also to re-inforce the hexagons a bit since they are hand-stitched and I don't have 100% faith in how good a job I did at that!
I guess time will tell how well it works out, how absorbent it is, and how well the hexagons hold up. I'll let you know!
P.S. My inspiration for this project came from this patchwork bathmat which I originally saw on Pinterest.